Beets are in season (hurray!) and they are absolutely mouth-watering when roasted in the oven. Just be careful not to scare your family when slicing the beets with the dark pink bloody-looking mess all over your cutting board. This could be the perfect Halloween salad. 😉
Plus, did I mention bacon?
Roasted Rosemary Beet + Kale Salad (serves 1 salad or 2 side salads)
3-4 kale leaves
3 medium beets
2 strips sugar-free bacon
1/4 small sweet yellow onion
1/8 chopped unsalted almonds
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp rosemary
salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
2. Wash beets and slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Place in medium sized mixing bowl.
3. Thinly slice onion and place in bowl with beets.
4. Chop bacon into bite-size pieces and also place in bowl.
5. Add EVOO, rosemary, and a couple dashes of salt and pepper to bowl; toss gently until beets are well coated.
6. Spread out beet mixture onto pan without overlapping beets.
7. Place in oven for 20 minutes, flipping beets halfway through.
8. Meanwhile, wash kale, remove from stem, and shred into bite-sized pieces. Place on serving dish.
9. Once beets are done, add to kale and sprinkle the chopped almonds on top.
This feels like a bountiful Fall harvest as it touches your tongue! The warm, juicy beets blend beautifully with the salty, savory chunks of bacon and the fresh, crispness of kale! Enjoy every last bite of this salad. I’m sure it will not disappoint. And if you allow yourself dairy, a suggested addition would be some feta cheese! YUM 🙂