One thing I absolutely love about Whole30 is how it challenges me to try new things. When I made eggs for breakfast every day, around Day 5 I started to switch things up! I was making sausages with sides of leafy greens or ground pork skillets filled with veggies and fruits! Chicken is cheaper and I most familiar with ways to cook it, but when something interesting goes on sale, I challenge myself to figure out how to cook it– for the sake of variety and for new tasty, healthy food experiences!
So naturally, when I saw Maverick Ranch’s Ground Buffalo on sale, I was rather intrigued!
Buffalo meat, also known as bison meat, is a leaner, more nutritious variety of meat than traditional beef. It can be used as a replacement for beef in recipes too!
Buffalo Mushroom Meatballs (makes 9)
– 1lb Maverick Ranch Ground Buffalo
– 1/4 cup tomato sauce + extra 1/4 cup set aside
– 1/4 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms
– 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
– 1 large garlic clove, minced
– 1/8 cup coconut flour
– 5-6 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– extra virgin olive oil, for coating the pan
1. Pre-heat oven to 425-degrees.
2. Coat bottom of a baking dish in extra virgin olive oil.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together ALL ingredients (except the tomato sauce that’s to be set aside). Be careful not to overwork the meat, just until thoroughly mixed.
4. Divide mixture into nine equal pieces then ball up and place into baking dish. Coat with remaining tomato sauce.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. ENJOY! 🙂
What kinds of new creations have you attempted recently? Any new delicious discoveries?